Okay. This recipe is VERY involved. As in set aside at least 3 hours to make it, maybe 3.5 (though a lot of that is rising). It ended up really tasty!
Here is the recipe!
1 tbsp. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
- 2 c. milk (scalded)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. shortening (1 stick butter)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 7-8 c. flour
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1-1 1/2 c. cinnamon/sugar
- 1/4-1/2 stick melted butter
- Soften yeast in small dish with 1/4 cup warm water.
- Scald milk and add sugar, shortening and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
- Pour milk mixture into bowl and add 3 cups flour and mix well.
- Stir in yeast and eggs; beat well.
- Add rest of flour slowly until it makes soft dough. (May not use all 8 cups, less is better. I ended up using about 7 cups.)
- Knead 10 minutes on floured surface.
- Place in greased bowl, turn once and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down, divide in two parts, cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll each piece out to 1/4 inch thick and heavily sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and 1 teaspoon water.
- Roll from small end and place in greased loaf pan, seam side down, let rise 45-60 minutes.
- Brush melted butter on loaves and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
I forgot to grease my pans (which resulted in bottom sticking!), and didn’t have two loaf pans, so one ended up in an 8×8 inch pan. Oh well. I also baked for 41 minutes, not sure of how many loaves this made (forgot to write it down). It was a bit long and the crust was kind of hard. I am thinking 35 minutes next time.
It was really sweet, definitely a dessert bread and a bit tooo sweet for a breakfast bread. Too much sugar in the cinnamon-sugar?
No matter, it was tasty and was worth being up at 1am to eat it and type this!
Now… Pictures! Enjoy!